Friday, October 28, 2011

How I learnt crochet

Crochet is something I learnt for my daughter. I started it just like I start learning most of the things - "by accident". I was pregnant with my daughter and I wanted to make something for her. The only thing I was good at back then was cross-stitching. So I was searching for cross-stitching kits on Ebay and then I saw all these knitting and crochet pattern magazines for babies. You know how cute baby knitting and crochet is!

My crochet and knitting books
So I got the magazines and when I opened them I was terrified! Sc, dtr, yo, sl st, hdc, inc.. ! I didn't know where to start! But thank God there's internet and YouTube!  I checked the magazines for the most common sizes of yarn and hooks and asked my husband if he knew any place I could buy those. Yep! I didn't even know about Spotlight or Lincraft! He took me to Spotlight and I bought some random 3ply,4ply and 5ply yarn that was on sale and I was lucky to find a set of Birch's crochet hooks.
Then I got home, turned on YouTube and started crocheting!

this is how I started :) 

And this is my first ever crochet "project". It was such an achievement for me.
 Only now I understand how easy it actually was :D


A butterfly from YouTube (there are heaps on YouTube if you're interested!)


Butterfly hair tie made for my husband's little cousin

I think I started wrong.I bought yarn without having a project in mind. I thought I would just use the yarn to learn all the stitches. That wasn't the smartest to do. I should have picked a project first and then buy everything I needed for the project. Anyway.. after few days of learning stitches and making hearts, flowers and butterflies I realized that I should finally start making something for my daughter. And I went with a blanket! It said "Intermediate" but I took the challenge!


This was my second day!
1/5 of the blanky and few mistakes that I didn't know how to fix so I had to undo half of it!
 stupid me! :))

To be continued when my baby daughter decides to take a nap again.. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment