Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Zig zag skirt

Just wanted to show you the finished zig zag skirt. I finished it just in time for Christmas so I didn't have time to take proper pictures.

I used Moda's "A walk in the woods" fabrics

It's different from other charm pack skirts that I've been making so I really enjoyed it. It is more complicated and time consuming but it totally worth it! Don't you think? It does create a lot of seams thou so I think an underskirt is really necessary.

This skirt is Polkadot Chairs's design. You can find the free pattern here.

To make a size 4-5T skirt I used:
12 pink charm squares (from 2 Moda's A walk in the woods charm parks)
12 white charm squares (from bella solids white charm pack)
3 strips (from 1 A walk in the woods jelly roll - the rest of the strips can be used to make 3-4 beautiful jelly roll skirts!)
a piece of fabric for underskirt
some elastic

I followed the tutorial and sewed the pink and white squares together, cut them diagonally in the middle and pressed them


Laid out the pattern


Cut the corners and sewed the squares together


There were so many seams that I couldn't sew through with a normal foot so I'm glad I had a chance to use my newly purchased walking foot for the first time!

All my new feet. I'm really glad I finally bought a 1/4" seam foot!

Then I sewed jelly roll's strips to the skirt, cut out the underskirt, surged the bottom of the underskirt and gathered the top together with the skirt using the surger


Attached one more strip to the top of the skirt to make a waistband and one more strip to the bottom then stitch the side seams together. ( I did it a bit differently from the tutorial). Folded the bottom and top of the skirts and stitched them in place. Then I fed the elastic through the waistband, hand stitched the opening and pressed one last time. And the result is here



No comments:

Post a Comment